[OM] Re: Don't ask unless you are willing to accept the answer!

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't ask unless you are willing to accept the answer!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 18:38:29 -0700
garrylewis747@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>What's the serial number? People on this list can tell us how old and what
>>version it is. My older 50/1.8 is OK but nothing to crow about.

F.ZUIKO 50/1.8 lenses range from serial #100,001 to over 1,000,000. Lee
Hawkins' site doesn't seem to be up just now, so I can't check, but it
may be closer to 2 million. My highest SC is just over 1 million and
lowest 'MC' just over 2 million. There are at least 2 designs in that
range. Serial #149,151, which I bought new in 1973, is not a very
impressive lens in resolving power. The difference between it and the
latest design, the 'miJ' is night and day. I'm pretty sure later SC
version(s) were better than the first, but who cares when there are
millions of miJs out there?

>Guess I'll have to save my pennies. Both 1.4 and 1.8 are running equal on *bay
>at $50-$60. The only question is 1.8(MIJ) or 1.4? Which is sharper?

You are stepping right into inaccurate generalaizations again. The
50/1.4 also went through changes over the many years it was made. A
healthy miJ will be better than a healthy early 50/1.4. Compare 'MC'
labeled 1.4 and 1.8 and its anybody's guess. It may well depend on the
lives the 2 have led. The miJ 1.8 and post 1,850,000 1.4 comparison will
be similar, possibly depending on sample variation and past handling.
'MC' marked 1.8s often have a problem with migration of lubricant onto
the diaphram mechanism, resulting in slow return from stopdown.

> If their equal, I think I'd go for the 1.4 because I don't really need two
> 1.8's and I might get back into available light.
> If the 1.8 is sharper, I'll just have to keep the old lens for a back-up and
> buy the newer version.

The 1.4 from any given comprable era may be assumed to be theoretically
better on the basis that Oly would put their best into the more
expensive 'flagship' lens. A careful reading of Gary's tests, taking
into account the camera body used show the latest 1.4 may be slightly
superior to the miJ 1.8, but it is a very near thing and is only on a
couple of each lens.

 So the answer is ..... Buy a nice clean sample of the newer version of
either for first rate performance.  The miJ uses some plastic in its
construction, which makes it lighter, but possibly less durable. The 1.4
always used top quality all metal construction. The 1.4 is 'cooler'

Moose