[OM] Re: where's the catch

Subject: [OM] Re: where's the catch
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 23:24:29 +0100

I'll reply to my own question here, quoting a previous good explanation
from AG that I just reviewed now understanding what he was talking
about:

"Your main difference between C-41 B&W films and traditional B&W
films is the shoulder and toe. Traditional films typically have
long straight-line sections and small curves at the top and
bottom of the response. C-41 B&W films start the shoulder (top
curve) about midway in the response and get continually
compressed as you go up.  Same with the toe.  The toe (bottom
curve) is so long that you do gain some shadow detail, but it's
hard to get a good DMAX (solid black) in your prints.  These
long curves are nice for exposure flexibility (under/over expose
by two or more stops), but this flexibility comes at the expense
of tonal seperation.  You'll lose those lovely smooth gradients."

Still seems worth giving a try.
James