[OM] Okay, Let's talk about vacation spots...

Subject: [OM] Okay, Let's talk about vacation spots...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 17:09:27 -0700 (PDT)
End of this month I'll be packing the family up and spending a
week up on one of my most favorite spots.  The Porcupine
Mountains. This wilderness/park is located on the western end of
Michigan's Upper Penninsula on Lake Superior. The tallest "peak"
is only about 415 Meters above lake level, but the terrain is
very similar to the Smokey Mountain National Park, only smaller
and on the most beautiful inland "sea" there is.

The park has two campgrounds, one on either end of the park and
right on the lakeshore. Union Bay campground is on the east end
and is the "full-service" campground, while the Presque Isle
campground is a bit more rustic.  The shorelines are a bit
different, as the Presque Isle campground sits on a bluff above
the lake and the beach is a bit tough.  Union Bay has a rocky
shoreline with exposed layers of rock still rebounding from the
last ice age.  The park has numerous waterfalls, many miles of
hiking trails and more photographic opportunities than you can
shake a camera at.

If you are a backpacker, the Porcupines represent a beautiful
destination spot and can even provide rock climbing opportunites
for those so inclined.

The terrain presents an unusual occurance.  Around 11:30 at
night (give or take a few minutes) you will be dousing your
campfire and turning in for the evening.  During the day, the
wind probably has been blowing like snot off the lake, but in
the evening it quiets down.  About 11:30 at night, the wind
reverses.  A form of "Chinook" wind develops.  At first you hear
a distant roar.  Waterfall?  Waves?  Nope, it's wind.  The roar
gets louder and louder, and closer and closer.  When it finally
hits, your tent almost flattens to the ground.  This wind is a
howling.  For around 20 miles the ground slowly slopes down to
the north and by the time it gets to the shoreline (where the
campsites are), the wind is a furious gale.  In a couple of
hours it will have blown itself out and you will be left trying
to get back to sleep.

Growing up, my family spent every other summer vacationing in
the U.P. and I've continued that whenever possible.

What to take:  I'll be packing the Crown Graphic 4x5 with plenty
of Ilford HP5+ (and maybe some PanF+), the OMs with Velvia 100
and the Minolta A1 for digital stuff.

Oh, and the Jeep for some adventures down some strange lumber
road.

Where are YOU going?

AG-Schnozz