[OM] Olympus' OM prices & jonequinn's tactics

Subject: [OM] Olympus' OM prices & jonequinn's tactics
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 10:22:25 -0500
The winning, $1,900 bid could easily have been a shill bid but I truely belive
that it's someone with more money than sense.  I'd bet money that Mr. Quinn has
done a lot of shill bidding over the past 2-3 years to create an artificially
high price point for his items.  We all know that he's "sold" many items that
were priced way out of line with the current market prices.  I don't know if
any of you know, but I actually talked to this guy about 18 months ago when he
appeared on the scene.  He's from somewhere in southern CT and wanted to meet
me for lunch to talk OM stuff.  I declined, as I didn't approve of his tactics.
 He said that he had used my Ebay price data to guide much of his initial sales.

IMO, Olympus falsly inflated the prices of OM gear over the last 10 years that
it was "on the market".  They had a limited supply of their high-end models,
and the assembly lines were mothballed.  So they raised the prices of the
remaining stock to create demand, lift it's perceived value/prestige, and
reduce consumption until the E-System was ready for release.  This allowed them
to keep a "professional" camera in their mix for an uninterrupted time.

I'm glad that I'm not in the "collector" category, lured into paying ridiculous
prices.  Even with Leica, I've kept most of my purchases reasonable.  I'm not
about to try and play the collector's market for OM gear, which could easily
take a nose dive for anything except truely mint goods.

I just want good quality equipment that works.

Skip