[OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........

Subject: [OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 22:09:54 +0000
Joel,

Let me make an observation relative to purchasing film, and then a confession
about pretending to know something I actually don't.

> I think this is now also my first choice (NPS I mean), though it takes
> deliberation for me to get it (order from B&H, but that it always
> deliberate fun).  Otherwise, I just grab the Fuji 100 from Walmart, or
> Max 400 if I have to have a 400 ASA color print film, but I'm giving up
> Walmart soon.

That's where I get mine.  Actually, in the last few years, I've bought little
or nothing locally, except from KEH.  Ordering from B&H is just so convenient,
and their prices are always lower than the local outlets, plus there's no state
sales tax, which almost always would be more than the shipping charges,
particularly on an order of more than a couple hundred dollars, which mine
always seem to be.  And the best part is, B&H is like Alice's Restaurant -- you
can get anything you want (except Alice).

> Mind if we swap Silverfast war stories (off-list maybe)

Once again, I have spoken before I really knew what I was talking about.  I
have been trying the Efke film based on the enthusiastic recommendation of a
friend, a large-format fanatic, who swears that scanning it with SilverFast is
the greatest thing since toilet paper on a roll.  The only version of
SilverFast I have is the one that came with my Epson Perfection 3200 scanner.
I just thought I hadn't yet figured out all the tricks and maybe that was why I
couldn?t tell much difference between the regular Vuescan scans and the ones
using SilverFast -- not to mention the extra complications involved.  Tell me
I'm not just too dumb to figure it out.  Please.

Walt