[OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........

Subject: [OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 17:32:29 +0000
Alex asked:

> What are your preferred materials and why:
>
> A. color negative film

I don't shoot much negative color, mostly only at family functions and that
sort of thing where prints to pass around later are more convenient than
slides, and on these occasions I go armed with Fuji NPS and/or NPZ, depending
on what kind of lighting conditions I expect to encounter.

> B. Color Slide film

Fuji Provia 100F, 400F, and Velvia.  I buy lots at a time, with the same
emulsion number, then keep it refrigerated until I use it, which pretty much
guarantees uniform results.  Unless, of course, there are processing variables,
which, fortunately, I haven't experienced too often.

Then there's Kodachrome 64.  When I finish the 10 rolls in the fridge and use
up the 10 mailers I have, that will end my 40+ years of shooting Kodachrome.
Simply too much trouble.   The Fuji films scan great, while Kodachrome is a
PITA, and ICE, although an Eastman Kodak invention, doesn't work on Kodachrome.
 I'll miss it, but not enough to keep using it.

My experience with Agfa slide film has not been all that great.  I like the
colors, but I've got slides from 20 years ago that have begun to fade, while
I've got Kodachrome and Ektachrome trannies from the '60s that look good as new
and Fuji stuff going back to the '70s that looks the same.  Of course, at my
age, I don't even buy green bananas anymore, so why should I care?

> C. Black and White negative film

Plus-X and Tri-X have been my staples for over 40 years.  As I got older, the
film got better, and I've found no reason to switch.  I've got a half dozen 120
rolls of Ilford Delta 100 I'm going to try just out of curiosity, so I'm not
totally closed-minded.  And I've had some very interesting results recently
with Efke 25 and 100 developed in Rodinol.  I have used it only in the 120 and
sheet film sizes, but I may give it a try in 35mm just to see if it's as good
as it looks in the larger negatives.  Scans really well with SilverFast.

Walt

--
Now that I'm retired, every night's a Saturday night and every day's a Sunday.
:-)