[OM] Full Frame for Oly

Subject: [OM] Full Frame for Oly
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:34:23 -0700

On Apr 24, 2004, at 9:25 PM, Daniel Tan wrote:

> I guess the Fuji S2Pro and the Kodak 14N were severely limited in their
> body design due to Nikon's specifications - They would only allow Fuji
> and Kodak to build on the F80 body. It looks to me that the D2H (I
> think?) and the D70 are the only dslr Nikons so far that are a
> completely new design. It would be far simpler (and cheaper of course!)
> to take an existing frame and build into it than to restart from
> scratch. But I guess that a major factor would be to keep existing 35mm
> body users happy with a familiar design rather than a radical new
> design.

I am not sure what you mean by limited by Nikon specifications. Fuji
and Kodak can build anything they want. The reason they bought the
rights to use some aspects of the N80 design is that they could not
improve on it for the price. They are not limited. Fuji chose to stay
close to the N80, but the Kodak is alloy instead of plastic. The D70
design is supposed to be based on the N75, but the connection is so
loose as to be meaningless. Even the D100 which might be closer to an
N80 has an F100 derived alloy frame inside the body.

The new DSC Pro SLR/c, is a Canon mount version of the SLR/n which
utilizes a new body made by Sigma (this isn't stated but is obvious).
So you guys with the Oly/EOS adaptor now have a full frame camera for
your OM lenses!

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA