[OM] Re: Developer preservation, Was: Darkroom - Getting the paper to tu

Subject: [OM] Re: Developer preservation, Was: Darkroom - Getting the paper to turn black
From: Ian Nichols <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:23:34 +0100

--On 23 April 2004 12:53 +0100 Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was having the same thoughts Jez, having a couple of weeks ago bought a
> can of the 'real' stuff made for the job.  It contains a blend of Argon,
> Carbon Dioxide and Nitrogen.  I assume the Nitrogen is there as the
> propellant, and the Carbon Dioxide as the 'filler' to make it affordable.
> I will know what to use next time!

That's interesting - the presence of CO2, that is.  I'd rejected that as a
possibility on 2 counts:  firstly it dissolves in water, secondly, when
it's dissolved in water it makes the water slightly acidic, which is a bad
thing for developers to be.

Oh yes, I should mention that propane will also do the job, and might be
cheaper for the outdoor types amongst us.