[OM] Re: OM-2S metering ?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-2S metering ?
From: "Daniel Tan" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:44:57 +1000

> "This may only appear like a problem, but really isn't one: in the
OM-2
> and later bodies (OM-2N, OM-2S, OM-4) in AUTO/PROGRAM mode there is
> dual metering.  The light sensors located in the prism are used when
> the mirror is down and provide only preliminary reading.  The actual
> reading is done OTF (off-the-film), after one presses the shutter
> release button and the mirror goes up.  The two readings are often
> apart, sometimes by up to 2-3 stops, but only the OTF reading really
> matters.  IOW, expose a roll of film and check out the results.  If
> they are unsatisfactory, pls let me know."

This is incorrect. The OM2S/3/4/Ti have a semi-silvered mirror and only
ONE meter - the one at the bottom of the mirror chamber. The documents I
have say that it is used for viewfinder metering and OTF metering.
The 2/2n have dual meters, one set in the prism chamber and the other
set in the mirror chamber. The 1/1n have one meter in the prism chamber
(??).

Hence, the readings should be identical. The guy is completely wrong.

Daniel