[OM] Re: Leica shots

Subject: [OM] Re: Leica shots
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:31:03 -0700
Don't get me wrong... I'm not knockin' 'em. I've had some chance to use
them and I think they're fine cameras and wonderfully crafted. Just not
my cup of joe at the price.

I agree that OM cameras got ridiculously expensive over time. Probably
why I've only bought a few items new. Now, however, I've collected lots
of gear, and it fits my way of shooting so well that I'm mostly content.
(Although, Skip, your posted E1 shots are beginning to give me some
initial pangs of new-camera-envy, I must say.)

For myself, one of the things that's almost essential to my photo-making
is a lessening of distractions. The very opposite, I'd say, of what
you're enjoying with a Leica (or any other rangefinder, I'd expect). I
happen to need that relatively simple and somewhat encompassing SLR
viewfinder--I'm much too easily distracted otherwise. It took me months
just to get used to the additional "distractions" in the OM-4T finder as
compared to my OM-1N.

For the little rangefinder work I do, the XA is fine. :-) And frankly,
having spent many years shooting an old, hand-me-down Kodak35 (I believe
that was its name) rangefinder when I first got interested in
photography, I got plenty of practice. Apples and oranges quality-wise,
I am aware, but nonetheless the basics of rangefinder shooting are the
same regardless of body.

---
Scott