[OM] Re: Leica shots

Subject: [OM] Re: Leica shots
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:23:01 -0700
I have to add my agreement. I once had an M3, bought new for well over
a months pay when I was in the Army in Germany. I used it trouble free
for about 20 years until it was stolen. I never replaced it because of
the cost and long before it went away I was hankering for something
more flexible. The Visoflex just did not cut it. It is one of the few
cameras around that makes an OM feel flimsy. And as comfortable as I am
with the OM4T it still is not as quick and easy to use in a series of
shots as the M3 was. Nor is it as quiet or as refined. I always thought
that the Leica lens reputation was a bit exaggerated though. I think if
you look at photodo.com you will see that Canon and Leica(they did not
test much Olympus) makes lenses that rival Leica glass. Leica just does
not make the cheap a** lenses that both the others also make.

One thing about the rangefinder viewfinder is that you have to think
more about composition because there is so much competition from
framelines, etc. Some people have I think discovered that gridded
focusing screens help for the same reason.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA