[OM] Re: OT: Digi, Large 22M CCD's

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Digi, Large 22M CCD's
From: "Evan Ruff" <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:26:22 -0400
Re: Noise.

The noise is usually created by optical trickery inside the CCD, usually
attributed to the design and lithography quality of chip. As the process
becomes smaller and more precise, the quality of the itty-bitty photodiodes
should increase as well.

If you could fab a 10mp sensor on a die of X size, theoretically you should
be able to fab an ultra-accurate 8mp sensor at the same size. The resolution
of your masks/maps/etc is just dedicated to making a more perfect diode
instead of a smaller diode.

The more I think about it, the more unique this problem is to digital
optics. When we were doing preliminary gallium-arsinide lithography
experiments at GT, we had some issues getting the xistors to come up pretty
under a microscope, but we really didn't care because it's either an ON or
an OFF value. (rise/fall times not withstanding). The photodiode is
reporting an intensity, so it's physical construction becomes much more
important to the accuracy of the results. Interesting, never really thought
about it that way...

Still waiting for the OM-5, full digital in an OM-4 chassis...

I am a cadence whore,
Evan