[OM] OT transformers, was No more $$ to Europe!

Subject: [OM] OT transformers, was No more $$ to Europe!
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:59:11 +0100
I know from experience that a US built popcorn pumper (or at least
built for the US market) didn't last too many batches when run through
a step down transformer off the mains current in Paris. I definitely
remember the smell of hot electrical elements and maybe a puff of
smoke, which wasn't coming from the corn. The evidence backs up your
theory, John. I guess the transformer was too slight for the job, but I
don't suppose anyone thought it might be a 'travel item'. Except for my
wife (then girlfriend, or maybe it was even pre-girlfriend stage at
that point!) who just couldn't find one in Europe and couldn't do
without her popcorn. 12 years on and we have a UK bought 240v version
in our kitchen cupboard. I guess that's one of the benefits of the
special relationship. ;-)

James