[OM] Re: Noise Filtering

Subject: [OM] Re: Noise Filtering
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:48:51 -0700
Noise filtering is kind of like sharpening. They both take some skill
and judicious use not to ruin the picture, but used well the results
are great. The stand alone programs are pretty flexible, going after
different kinds of noise patterns and are adjustable enough so as to
get noise reduction without much softening or conversion of people to
Mattel plastic figures. The better ones sample blank areas like the sky
so that your particular pattern can be subtracted out, not just
general blurring on a channel like an action in Photoshop. With some
you can establish profiles for your particular camera at each ISO,
speeding the filter action. There is a big difference between the very
simple programs and the more sophisticated ones. I have been using
Grain Surgery because it is available for my Mac and it has come in
very handy for older scanned slides as well.

Michael Almond has a test site where most have been tested:

http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise.htm

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA