[OM] Re: I didn't send the email about Document

Subject: [OM] Re: I didn't send the email about Document
From: "Ian Manners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:07:22 +1000 (EST)
Hi Bill

>There is an email which says, re: Document, and shows me as being the sender.

I can say with 99.9% certainty that the chances are if it has your name on it,
then you did not send it.

> There are several others which have the same message.  Although my computer
>was on, I was soundly asleep at the time it was sent.  The message in the
>message was something like "This is the file".  my assumption is that someone
>is
>up to some mischief and these messages are the results.  Is this perhaps part
>of the virus discussion which has been going around the past few days?  Bill
>Barber

Yes. Most of the latest crop of virus's, actually ALL of the latest ones that
are
popular, grab email address's from your address book and any other
source the virus can find that contains email address's, uses on of these
in its "From:" address (called spoofing), and then merrily replicates itself
to every other email address it can find.

This causes a lot of problems for those people who do not understand
virus's and email, including ISP's who spend large amounts of time
explaining to customers and others that "that" person you the email/virus
says it is from, isnt really from that person, so no, they cannot terminate
that persons account for trying to attack the callers computer.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/photo/