[OM] ( OM ) honest vendors and feedback

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) honest vendors and feedback
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:06:50 +1200
Hi folks,
During the period of Digest abstinence, I managed to snare something I have
been thinking about for a while.  I wanted to have a backup for the OM4Ti
with the aperture pre-fire and mirror raise, and have been looking at OM2000s

I found this one which was being neglected by bidders, and persuaded the
vendor that shipping to me outside the USA would be OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3802393552&category=15239&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Well, me being me, of course shipping to me would be OK <g>.

I was very pleased with the price; I have seen bare bodies go for nearly
double what I paid for this camera + lens.

Camera arrived here OK, and the camera and lens seemed to be hardly used
at all.  So with some eagerness I tried the self-timer with the anticipated
mirror lock-up and aperture pre-fire. No go. Not at any price. The self-timer
either would not release, or would not hold down.

I asked the vendor if it had ever worked, and he said "Oh, he had forgotten to
mention that it had never worked."  I looked at my options and figured that it
would probably be better from my situation to sell it with full declaration of
fault, and buy another body only. Meantime, I have discovered that the local
importer does have some spare parts, and it seems that robustness of the
self-timer is the achilles heel of the OM2000. It is in for repair at the
moment
and I am very interested in the outcome.
I have not yet decided whether to give the vendor negative feedback or not.
He was not interested in any remedies from his end. Otherwise, a very
pleasant person to deal with. But not honest.

The camera is very lightweight. I'm looking forward to trying it out. The only
real negative for me is that to turn on the meter and to enable shutter
release, the film transport lever has to be pulled out from the body a little.
Since I use my left eye for viewing, this means that it pokes into my face.

Apparently all such shutters as this one (vertical travel, metal blades) are
made by Copal. 1/2000 max speed on manual (they are all manual).

Brian