[OM] The reviewer's life

Subject: [OM] The reviewer's life
From: "Daniel Tan" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:43:41 +1000
This is great. Except I guess it would be a 3Ti for most of us. And a
250/2.8.

Daniel Tan

Excerpt from "The Reviewer's Life",
http://www.photo.net/mjohnston/column50/

Scene 4

I'm driving along a dark and deserted country road. Suddenly, up ahead,
several sets of headlights. Cars angled into the road. Roadblock.

I slow my trusty Ford. Oops, make that "rusty" Ford. There are several
hooded figures standing in the rain, nothing but silhouettes in the
glare from the car headlights. One of them mournfully approaches my car
window. I crack it.

"Come," the figure says. "We want you to see something."

I pull off the road, put the flashers on, step out. The night is dark.
The rain is wet. The hooded figures fall into single file, and I follow.
Up, up, the hillside we go, wending our way through thick brush.

A wet and windswept moor. Lonely graves. We thread our way among the
headstones. A hound howls mournfully in the distance. Finally the hooded
figures stop, surrounding an new-looking obelisk, carved of white
marble. I push through the group and look at the inscription on the
grave. What does it say? What does it say? My curiosity is at a fever
pitch.

Here's what it says: "The OM System, R.I.P."

"We're still pretty broken up about it," the guy who approached my car
says. "We had the world by the tail in 1984. It just wasn't as much fun
selling a bazillion point-and-shoots in the '90s, you know?"

"So what'd you bring me here for?" I ask.

"Oh. Yeah. Well, we want you to say that the C-8080 is the best. Can you
do that for us? For old times' sake?"

"Why should I?" I said belligerently. Would he get the point?

He got the point, all right. "Because we'll give you this, he said,
pulling something from behind the dreadful obelisk.

My eyes widened. I couldn't believe I was holding one of these in my
hands again! " A black OM-4Ti, with a 40mm f/2 Zuiko!" I wxclaimed.
"How'd you know!"

"New old stock," he said. "Nobody can get these. Now you just help us
out, will you?"

"Yeah, yeah, sure! I said.

The Olympus C-8080 is the BEST! Oh yeah, is it ever the best! It's so
incredibly good! I mean, it's great! Okay, so I haven't actually seen
one yet. It's still the best!!! I can't believe my luck.