[OM] Re: sOMe questions to E-1 owners

Subject: [OM] Re: sOMe questions to E-1 owners
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:23:38 -0500
1. Hmmm.  I never thought of that, but the battery last so long, I haven't come
anywhere near finding out. I usually turn the it off before I would have to
worry about a sleeping camera eating the battery.  I don't want to put the
camera in my bag with it turned on and have slight shutter pressure keep it on
and drain the battery.  The quick startup time of 1-2 sec isn't so much of an
issue that I worry about putting the camera away turned off.  As with my Leica
M7, I get in the habit of turning the camera on as soon as I pull it out of the
bag and flicking it off when it gets put away.  It takes me at least 1-2
seconds to get it up to my eye and ready to take a picture, which is plenty of
time for it to turn on.  This is in stark contrast to my Canon G2, which takes
4-5 seconds to turn on, extend the lens, etc.  The process seems like it takes
forever, especially as the G2 retracts the lens when it goes to sleep.  This
behavior only reinforces my attitude tha that the G2 is
 a P&S with manual functionality, not a Pro-Sumer camera like the Minolta A2.

2. It takes about 1.5 sec to wake up and the wake-up is triggered by
shutter-release pressure.  If you are in playback mode or menu mode that same
shutter-release pressure will also put you immediately back into shooting mode
(no delay), which is a very intelligent feature.

3. The Anti-Shock doesn't have any dependencies on the self-timer or remote
modes.  You can set it whenever you want to 1,2,3,4 or 6 seconds.

4. I use a Canon off-camera cord that I already had.  It has one extra contact,
but that doesn't make any difference.  All the functions are carried from the
E-1 to the FL-50 with the Canon cord AFAICT.  B&H had the Olympus cord, which
was priced around $50 if I remember right.

Skip