[OM] Re: Lets see if I have this correct about OM glass and E-1 cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Lets see if I have this correct about OM glass and E-1 cameras
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:11:47 -0500
The adapter hasn't arrived yet at my doorstep.  They promised it "after March
31".  So I don't know the exact methodology for moving to the shooting aperture
for MF lenses.  Likely it will set the aperture pen all the way over and as you
move the aperture ring on the lens, the diaphragm will stop down.  So it won't
have a nice stop-down mechanism like the 35-Shift lens.  BTW, the adapter is
easy to get in the U.S.; you only have to register your E-1 and call Olympus
and order the adapter.  It is free, including shipping.

As far as Bill's questions, the only issue that I don't know is how large
aperture MF lenses will fare wide open.  It's possible that at full aperture,
some lens's light cones will be truncated and will have effective transmissions
below what reads on the lens.  So the 50/1.2 might act as an f/2.8 lens, even
when shot wide open.  I still have a borrowed 50/1.2 and 55/1.2, which are
waiting on the arrival of an E-1 adapater to test this theory.

If my 135/2.8 or 90/2 are as nice as I hope they are, I just might be back in
the market for a nice Tamron 180/2.5 or 300/2.8 to go along with the E-1.  But
for sports or fast action, there will be no substitute for the 50-200/2.8-3.5
Zuiko Digital AF lens.

Skip