[OM] Re: It's been lonesome up here in the saddle since my horse died.

Subject: [OM] Re: It's been lonesome up here in the saddle since my horse died.
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:03:39 -0800
Leitz did in fact make lens adapters, and further, they made a series of
adapters, so that the finder frames would be triggered correctly if you use
the right adapter. So my 35/3.5 Summaron screw-mount, when used with a
35-adapter ring, would work perfectly on my M3 or M2 body. They introduced
these adapters way back in the 1950's when the M-mount cameras first came
out. The only real shame is that they stopped making screw-mount lenses (I
think sometime in the 1960's) except for some really expensive small runs.

Cosina-Voigtlander has stepped in with a modern run of new designs, reputed
to be very good, which will work on any old screw-mount camera, and with the
adapter rings (now also made by CV) will work with any new M Leica including
the most recent M7 and MP. Of course, the CV lenses only give 75% of the
performance of the Leitz lenses (depending on who you ask...) but they cost
1/4 the price, so they are quite popular in some circles. Perhaps sometime
in 2015 or 2020 somebody will come out with lenses than fit both the OM's
and the E-series... <g>
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...