[OM] Re: external ambient/flash/reflected Lightmeters

Subject: [OM] Re: external ambient/flash/reflected Lightmeters
From: edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 06:44:55 -0500
Daniel:

I use an "old" Minolta Autometer IIIF.  I have found it very accurate and easy
to use.  BUT... it seems to eat batteries.  When cased and not in use,
leaving a battery in seems to drain the battery over a period of a very few
months.  It uses "N" sized batteries, and I haven't bothered trying different
brands and makeups, as I don't really use it that often.  I got it primarily
for flash, though the ambient incident capability was also nice to have.

Previously I had a Sekonic L28C2, the successor to the Norwood.  The nice
thing about  it (and the Weston Masters prior to the Master V, and the
EuroMasters) was that being a selenium cell, it required no batteries and the
spectral response closely matches film, more so than CdS.  I am thinking of
getting a Weston Master III or IV primarily as another backup meter, as they
read directly in foot-candles and exposure calculation is pretty rapid.  They
are not flash-capable, however, so it would not be a replacement for the
Minolta battery hog.  (Anyone else experienced this problem with Minolta
meters?)

I also had a Soligor 1deg spot (digital readout), but it is now dead.

I wouldn't discount the Weston type meters.  The EuroMaster II can be had for
about $225 Euros new.  They don't do flash, but look pretty handy to me.  And
they look WAY cooler than modern digi-wonders.  You can get it in chrome or
black, to match your OM kit.

Earl