[OM] Re: Why E1 over others?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why E1 over others?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:06:13 -0800 (PST)
> I, too, wanted the E-1 SYSTEM to be my dream system - but, no
> image stabilization lenses.  That was the deal breaker.  If I
> am going to retrain myself  for three generations of change
> (auto focus, universal zoom use, AND digital), I want the
> piece of technology that I really need - IS.

Now that I've got it with my new digital, I've got to say that
it is the cat's meow.  I'm 100% convinced that it is THE
technology to drag me kicking and screaming away from the OM
system.  It's one of those things that just improves the
photography experience so much you wonder how you'd ever go
back.  Folks, it is amazing.

Now where does that leave the E-x System?  Olympus has got to do
some serious work to either cross-license somebody else's
technology or introduce their own. Image stabilization could be
performed optically, physically or electronically.  Nikon and
Canon do it optically. Minolta is doing it physically and in
astrophotography it is done electronically.  Oh, and don't
forget that Sony and others have been doing image stabilization
electronically in camcorders for years.

I too, really want the E-X system to succeed.  I absolutely love
the viewfinder image and the handling of the camera.  But my
experience with the Minolta A1 has taught me a lot about what to
expect in a professional level camera.  I know that there is no
way that I could go backwards.  I don't care how "robust" it is,
if it falls short in certain features.

With the image stabilization, live preview viewfinder/monitor,
excellent zoom lens, fast equivelent film speed (ISO 160 is
slowest), terrific ergonomics and snappy performance, the A1 has
proven to be the most "usable" camera I've ever had. All future
camera purchases will be measured by this camera, along with the
OM-2S.

As I'm writing this I'm watching VueScan converting tonight's
efforts.  Other than a couple boners like getting the Jeep's
window frame in the picture, or an occasional crooked horizon
every shot is dead on.  Why shouldn't it?  With live histogram I
made sure everything was within range.  (I had 2-second instant
review turned on so I was always seeing what I just shot
too--all without removing my eye from the viewfinder).  I'd
gladly trade the EVF for an optical viewfinder, but somehow
they've got to figure out how to superimpose a histogram in the
viewfinder.

So, to bring this full circle:  I would select an E-X from
Olympus if it had image stabilization, readily available OM lens
mount, live histogram (one can hope), >8MP sensor and affordable
lenses.  Oh, and a really big swivel monitor.  The 4/3 sensor is
essentially a cropped APS sensor so the size is fine.  In fact,
for my purposes, better since I crop nearly everything to either
8x10 or square.

Olympus is really close.  The form-factor of the camera is
dead-on.  The ergonomics are tops.  I'm very hard pressed to
dislike the camera.  But without the above items, I'm most
likely going to drift off to another brand and close this
chapter on my life.

Of course, there is the possibility that I could get a decent
pro level camera and still use the bridge camera for those areas
where it excels.  As long as it has image stabilization.

AG-Schnozz