[OM] Re: OM-4 Purchase (new to list)

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 Purchase (new to list)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:27:44 -0800
Same as before. BATTERIES! You describe the classic symptoms of
incorrect batteries. These cameras are high drain when the shutter is
operating, because they use electromagnets (as did all the similar
cameras from other manufacturers at the time). Alkaline and lithium
batteries can deliver the voltage to seem OK under the low drain of the
test light or operating the metering. As they age, but long before they
are 'dead' for their proper uses, they lose voltage and the ability to
deliver high current. Then they may have enough energy to operate the
shutter 1to a few times before losing too much voltage. The camera is
designed to lock with the mirror up intentionally when voltage gets too
low, rather than give improperly exposed pics. So the camera locks up,
you fuss arond with it a bit, take the batteries out, clean them and the
contacts, scratch your head, whatever. While you are doing that, the
batteries are recovering chemically from the excessive drain. So you try
them, they work, and you think whatever you did fixed the problem. Then,
a few shots later, depending on how far apart the shots are,
temperature, etc. etc., it locks up again.

This has happened to me and many others on the list. Before doing
anything else or worrying what awful thing it might be, get some new,
correct batteries. Go to RS or the drug store or Target or wherever and
get silver oxide batteries. Best for longevity are 357 or SR44W (yes,
the W makes a difference), but any silver oxides of the correct size
will work for some time.

If that doesn't solve the problem, THEN worry about what else it might be.

Moose