[OM] Re: The Harrison Ross Poll

Subject: [OM] Re: The Harrison Ross Poll
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 16:16:58 -0500
>What are your 3 favorite Zuikos?

35-80/2.8, 180/2 and 250/2.

> Why?

Because they're really expensive, and I need to justify having them.  ;-)

The 35-80 is always on a body - the quality of this lens is so good that I
usually don't bother to carry any other lens in that range.  The 35-80
makes a great small travel kit with the Tamron 80-200/2.8 ("small" being a
relative term here).

The 180/2 is spectacular - razor sharp, great contrast.  You can even store
it in its case attached to an OM-4 + MD-2, which saves an enormous amount
of time switching lenses.  Whomever thought up this idea was a genius.  The
tripod mount makes a great carrying handle as well.

The 250/2 is just like the 180/2, except you can't store the lens with a
body attached.

The brightness and clarity of the 180 and 250 in the viewfinder (with a
2-13 screen) allows for very easy focus.  Also with these lenses, shooting
Velvia 100 in daylight at 1/500 sec. gives a f/5.6 or so aperture, right in
the classic "sweet spot" of lens performance.

> What do you shoot with them?

Trains.  Lots and lots of trains.  (see the "railroad" section of
www.dantroy.com)

> Which features (sharpness, bokeh, size, weight, close-focusing, etc) make
>them rise above the others in their category? (eg.35/2.0 vs 35/2.8)

Sharpness? Yes. And contrast.
Size? Nope.
Weight?  Really nope.
As mentioned, the great white lens' speed gives an impressive viewfinder
view and makes it easy to focus, an important consideration on longer
lenses with moving subjects.

>Which other lenses in this category have you also used?

The 35-80 usually replaces a 35/2, 50/1.4 and 100/2.8 and equals or
outperforms them all, but sometimes the 50 hangs around for low-light stuff.
Tamron 180/2.5, which is good but not in the same league as the 180/2 (but
the Tamron goes on airplanes as the Zuiko is too big).
Zuiko 200/4, which isn't even close in performance to the big whites that
surround it (and it's too slow).
Tamron 80-200/2.8, which is my favorite non-Zuiko lens - a perfect match to
the Zuiko 35-80.

>How does this Zuiko compare to lenses  by other manufacturers you've used
>(N*kon, L*ica, C*non, etc) ?

Other manufacturers?  There are other manufacturers?

Steve Troy