[OM] Re: The Harrison Ross Poll

Subject: [OM] Re: The Harrison Ross Poll
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 06:37:53 -0500
Although Winsor started it off with a response with four lenses :), I'll
stick to three, although it is hard to do.

90/2 Macro.  My favorite by far, mostly because of what I like to shoot. The
bokeh is unbelieveable. I now own the Nikon 60/2.8 and while it is a fine
lens it still is not the Zuiko.

35-70 3.5-4.5.   You just have to love this little lens. Small, light, easy
to use. The perfect all around 'on the body' lens. Is it the sharpest? No.
Is it the best? No. Just special.

21.  OK, a bit of a cop-out, particularly given how I started this email.
Take your pick, the 21/2 or the 21/3.5. It is the focal length I love and
the entire reason I bought the Nikon D100 instead of the Canon 10D.  On the
Nikon, I could get a wide-angle zoom that goes to an equivalent 18mm. On the
Canon it was 24mn.  I couldn't live with that. Any way, back on topic. The
21/2 is the fastest, brightest, sharpest wide angle imaginable. The pictures
have a snap to them that is hard to define. The 21/3.5 lacks just a touch of
that snap and isn't as bright, but is so small and convenient. Through the
last five years, I've gone back and forth with this focal length and right
now, it is the 21/3.5 I own.

Tom