[OM] Re: Subjective Lens Ratings

Subject: [OM] Re: Subjective Lens Ratings
From: "Gordon J. Ross" <gordross@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:20:27 -0700
Hi Rob:
If you read my last post to Joe I won't re-write what I said. It is an
interesting idea, but the more I think about it, the more I feel it would be
somewhat of a self massaging zuikoholic parlour game. I mean that in the
kindest way, being subjective you need to rank the rankers, and there is no
way that a # from 1 to 5 is indicative of anything but popularity. For eg. I
would give the speed a 5, the construction a 5, the sharpness a 4 , the
color rendition a 5, the bokeh a 5, etc. for an overall ranking of 4.8 for
the 85/2.0.   What have we learned?  (I think I'm right on everything but
the color rendition because I just fudged it) There isn't much help in that,
so out with the 1 to 5 scale. The second difficulty I see is that if we look
at narrative descriptions we will learn more about the photog than the lens.
What I think that we could do, much like when we were asked for our
inventories of OM Gear- is to ask everyone on the list to pick the three
favorite lenses that they have and tell why. That we all can take something
from. What do you think?

Gord