[OM] Re: Woe is Me - and Why Go Digital?

Subject: [OM] Re: Woe is Me - and Why Go Digital?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:40:06 -0800 (PST)
>Well, one of the reasons I'd consider the A1 is to haul *less*
>stuff with me, not more.  I really don't wanna haul a laptop
>along.  Oh well...

Didn't say I was!  Well, not all the time, at least.

>>1. Anti-Shake saved the day.  The only other alternative would
>>have been to increase ISO to greater than 400.
>Tempting, tempting...

I absolutely love it. It offsets the noise at higher ISOs quite
nicely.

>Have you tried the A1's "Auto White Balance" feature yet?  If
>so, are you satisfied?

Well, I'm finding that it is a bit off in mixed lighting.  It is
unable to correct florescents that have been color manipulated.
I have a house full of compact florescents and they are very
close to tungsten in color, but the camera just isn't able to
figure it out.  Same with sodium-vapour style lights.
Fortunately, the A1 has overrides and 11-step custom adjustments
for nearly everything.

>I'd probably stick to straight centre-weighted AF, rather than
>the "Heisenberg AF" red rectangle that first befuddled me so.
>Assuming I've understood the camera manual, that is.  ;-)

Not familiar with that page.  I'll look again.  I'd like to
force it to the middle segment without using "Flexpoint".

I would like to address the issue of RAW and white-balance
setting.  Yes, it's true that RAW images are stored
uncolorcorrected, but the DIVU converter will use the camera's
setting during an automated conversion. It's best to get things
as close as possible in-camera to reduce post-processing time. I
like the batch converter. It's slow, but effective.  I'm using
the thumbnail browser to identify/select the images which appear
to be exposure and color correct and process using the camera's
settings.  Those that are off can be batch processed using
premade settings.

Well, the OM gear has been pretty idle for the past couple of
weeks.  Not totally, but enough that the Zuikos are starting to
revolt.  Just got 15 inches of snow yesterday, but Spring is
coming and I've got a wad of Velvia 100 lurking in the fridge.
There's a certain 100/2.8 that's chanting "Bokeh, Bokeh,
Bokeh..."

AG-Schnozz