[OM] Re: Dust...

Subject: [OM] Re: Dust...
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:06:03 -0800

>> Anyone using a compressor to blow air off their (OM-sourced) slides and
>> negs?
>>
>> I am considering a move to air tools for some other applications, and
>> wonder what the parameters are, in terms of noise, output pressure and so
>> on.

A compressor designed for air tools isn't really adaptable or even
desirable for the use you are contemplating. The best thing would be to
buy one of those refillable containers which are pressurized by the
compressor via a tire valve and designed for paint or WD-40 or whatever
and just make it designated "air only". In any event the air intake on
the compressor should have a good filter and I would add a water trap at
the air out, good for use with your tools as well.  Plus I would add a
particulate filter that could be plugged into the line just before the
tire filler. Blast enough air through the hoses to clear most dirt then
add the filter before filling your little container. Of course you will
also have a pressure regulator besides the pressure switch on the
compressor. Be sure to frequently drain the air reserve tank of any
acumulated moisture. You will be amazed at how much gets into the system.

Mike