[OM] Re: UW OMography?

Subject: [OM] Re: UW OMography?
From: SAS Teachers <sasteachers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:39:03 -0500

> > What do you go that deep to see?
>
>Wrecks, mostly. Big boats sail over deep waters. Big boats which sink tend
>to do so over deep waters too.

Sounds too cold for me.  I only dove once when I wasn't cold around the
neck, waist, wrist and ankles.  Of course almost all my diving was in
northern lakes with a nasty thermocline.  Great Lakes wrecks draw a lot of
people, but it's too cold for me.  A couple years ago I found a rental suit
that fit!  We were swimming with manatees, and I was nice and warm with no
leakes.

>(The alternative is using rebreathers, which allow you to reuse your
>expired gas (after removing the CO2, obviously). You can have hours of
>bottom time with those, on a relatively small cylinder, and you can
>optimize your deco since you'll always be breathing as O2 rich a gas as
>possible at a given depth. I've never done that, but it's next on the list
>of "things to try")

I've seen Coustou do that on a few of his TV shows.  Having started diving
back in '69 before all the encumbrances like BCs, I find scuba less
enjoyable today.  I prefer the freedom of snorkling now, it's more like
diving used to be.

gregg