[OM] [OT] Epson printer

Subject: [OM] [OT] Epson printer
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:23:57 -0500
I know asking questions about an Epson printer is definitely off topic for
this list but I'm at my wit's end here.  I have an Epson C80 that is a little
over a  year old but for the last couple of months, has been nothing but a
pain in the behind.  For about the first 10 months it worked fine but then
started to exhibit "banding" in the printed text and images.  The ink
cartridges were all getting low so I thought maybe the ink was getting old so
I replaced all the cartridges thinking this would solve the problem.  I spent
the next few months constantly "cleaning" print heads and I swear I was
fortunate if I got twenty printed pages out of the ink cartridges before they
emptied.  I would clean the print heads 4 to 5 times before I could get rid
of the banding only to have to repeat the same procedure the next morning
after shutting down the printer for the evening.

I contacted Epson and they suggested I send the printer in for service.  That
does not make any financial sense to me since for the cost of service I could
probably buy a newer and better printer.  Heck, I bet for the price of a set
of Epson C80 cartridges, $78, I could come close to getting a newer and
better printer at this point.

Anyhow, does anyone out there know if there is something I can do myself to
solve the clogged printer head problem?  At this point, if I accidently
destroy something in the process, I don't think it will matter much.
Actually, dropping the unit from my second story window and watching it
shatter in a few pieces after hitting the ground might be a better idea and
possibly more satisfying. :)

Richard