[OM] Re: 81a filters

Subject: [OM] Re: 81a filters
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 16:22:14 EST
In a message dated 3/10/04 1:22:27 PM Central Standard Time, gordross@xxxxxxx
writes:

> outside of the 16mm and my 50 macro all wides have UV filters and all teles
> have Haze filters, besides that I have a red and two circ. polarizers. Would
> I gain with a kit or be better just buying a warming filter, neutral
> density, and B&W filters separately.

Well, let me answer your question this way.  There are few filters I have
gone out and bought intentionally as I have accumulated quite a few through
kits
I've purchased however there are a few I consider to be essential.  They are:
1) Circular polarizer
2) One or more of the 81 series
3) Split neutral density of the Cokin or Singh Ray variety, if you are
serious about landscapes.  The round ones are, IMHO, useless unless everything
you
use it for ignores the rule of thirds and is composed with the horizon running
right thru the middle of the picture.
4) If you are doing B&W, some variety of red, yellow or orange.
Off the top of my head the following are filters I've purchased specifically
because of a need (you may read that as want).
1) Circular polarizers
2) Moose Peterson combo polarizer/warming filter
3) Softar 1 & 2
4) A couple of graduated ND for the Cokin system (Singh Ray)
5) A color enhancer for the Cokin system (Singh Ray)
6) Singh Ray Blue-Gold polarizer
7) Cokin 81 a, b & c

This may raise more questions than it answers.  Although I have a variety of
UV, 1A & 1B filters, I seldom use them.

Bill Barber