[OM] Re: F280 on OM-1

Subject: [OM] Re: F280 on OM-1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 05:42:11 -0500
Rob Harrison wrote:
  > My main use for a SLR these days is for portraits--family photos, baby
> photos. I imagine the Super FP mode could come in handy in Australia,
> where it will actually be sunlit and bright some times, as opposed to
> Seattle where it's 18% grey 75% of the time. Or in Seattle
> July-September.
I don't have an OM-4Ti or an F280.  However, my OM-1 is old enough that
it started off life popping AG-1B flash bulbs before I got a Vivitar 283
for it.  It seems to me that the principal use for an F280 would be fill
flash since that's difficult to do in bright sunshine when you're
limited to 1/60 second shutter speed.  So, Oz is definitely the right
place to own an F280

> On the other hand...who knows if I could use my SF20 Leica flash on the
> OM-1? Graham? Skip? Or vice versa, use the SF20 on the OM-4ti? (in auto
> mode of course, no TTL. ) The contacts are in the right place, but I've
> heard tales of high capacity capacitors, delicate electronics and so
> on....

I don't have an SF20 either but did look it up on the Leica site and see
that it does have a non-TTL auto mode.  You should be able to use it in
that mode on any camera.  The only electrical contact required is the
main hotshoe contact used as a firing signal... the same that is
required for manual flash.  Once triggered, the flash itself controls
the duration of the flash and thus the exposure level so no additional
camera control contacts are required as with TTL.

My ancient Vivitar 283 has a trigger voltage of 250v.  Modern ones are
probably about 6v.  The OM-1 with its mechanical contacts has no problem
with 250v.  That would fry your OM-4Ti however.  The SF20 probably has a
low voltage but if in doubt you should measure it.

I haven't measured my own T-32's but this site:
<http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>
reports measurements for T-32's ranging from 7.14 to 11.3 volts. In a
message used for the Olympus FAQ Tom Trottier reported trigger voltage
on his T-32 at ~12 volts.  Presumably the OM-4Ti is designed to take
this much since it supports T-32's.  The SF-20 is not listed at this site.

To measure the trigger voltage of the SF-20 turn it on and measure the
voltage between the central hotshoe contact and the metal contact inside
  the groove that accepts the lip from the hotshoe.  If it's 12 volts or
less you should be good to go.

Good luck,
Chuck Norcutt