[OM] Re: Digital Rebellion - Film in exile?

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Rebellion - Film in exile?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:57:03 -0800

On Mar 2, 2004, at 7:54 PM, AG Schnozz wrote:

> The A1 is as CA-free as they come.

I am not surprised because that was true with the 5MP Dimage as well.
Fortunately they have figured out the noise part. The Coolpix 8700
looks like it is continuing its freedom from CA. I really think it has
something to do with the microlens/filter on top of the sensor as well
as the lens.

> As far as shooting in RAW mde... Well, I can't say until I've
> run controlled tests and benchmarked the camera.  I would prefer
> to use the JPEG Extra-Fine setting whenever possible because of
> the faster workflow.  I'm sure that for the fine-art pictures
> I'll use RAW--just because, but for event/portrait photography
> that JPEG Extra Fine might be more than acceptable. We'll see.

If the in-camera JPEG conversion is a good one I don't think it makes
much difference. But then I am used to getting exposure with slides. I
think raw is probably essential for people who mostly shot with
automatic cameras and negatives and depended on a film processor to
save them. They will need the extra bits.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA