[OM] Re: Digital Rebellion - Film in exile?

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Rebellion - Film in exile?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:54:31 -0800 (PST)
Moose grunted:
>Sounds like the right choice from what I've been able to
>determine. The one factor you seem to have missed mentioning
>is the poorer noise performance on the A2, where it is already
>one of the weaker points of the A1

The noise situation is really indeterminate regarding the A2. It
looks like the 8MP sensor is more noisy, but the noise is
smaller and more "film-like".  Just as in the Sony F828.  Same
sensor, infact.  The comparative samples I've seen point to the
A2 having slightly nicer noise characteristics.  But the 8MP
sensor seems to be prone to CA problems in every camera it's in.
The A1 is as CA-free as they come.

The A1 does appear to be quite sensitive to poor technique. This
is a very powerful camera with an unforgiving sensor/processor.
Unfortunately, the bulk of these are landing in the hands of
rank amatures.

As far as shooting in RAW mde... Well, I can't say until I've
run controlled tests and benchmarked the camera.  I would prefer
to use the JPEG Extra-Fine setting whenever possible because of
the faster workflow.  I'm sure that for the fine-art pictures
I'll use RAW--just because, but for event/portrait photography
that JPEG Extra Fine might be more than acceptable. We'll see.

If I could have afforded it right now, I would have gone ahead
and gotten the E-1.  But, regardless, I needed to have a digital
wonderwidget as a spare/backup/etc., for when I do get the DSLR.

AG