[OM] 35-80/2.8 hood as filter holder

Subject: [OM] 35-80/2.8 hood as filter holder
From: Duncan Paterson <paterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:49:52 +0100
I recently bought a 72-62mm step-down ring (very cheap in a local photo
shop's bargain basket) in order to be able to use the 72mm BW filters I
have for my 300 Zuiko on the 35-80 zoom. (Being the only objective I have
with this filter diameter, I didn't want to purchase a further set just for
the zoom). However, with the step-down ring in place, the bayonet hood
obviously cannot be fitted and although flare/loss of contrast isn't likely
to be so much of a problem when shooting BW film with red or orange
filters, I looked for another solution. Comparing the tulip-shaped hood and
the filters side by side I realised they were close in size...
Lo-and-behold the 72mm filters (Olympus and Hoya) fitted perfectly inside
the hood and seem to be gripped securely by the ridged rubber surface - no
epoxy or gaffer tape required! When pushed all the way inside the hood, the
outer rim of the filter does not protrude above the curved profile of the
hood and so it shouldn't cause any vignetting at the 35mm setting and on
checking in the viewfinder I couldn't see any light fall-off.

Has this discovery already been reported by other users of the 35-80? If
so, sorry but I thought it would be worth mentioning before someone goes
out and spends money on a set of dedicated filters. Having said that, I
think the E-10 and -20 and two zooms announced with the E-1 take 62mm
filters so it could be worth it for those with digital aspirations.

Cheers,
Duncan.