[OM] Re: Sigma lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:46:38 -0800
I know there is an assumption among some members that any lens that is
primarily made of plastic and inexpensive must be junk. Just came up
again about the multi-brand 19-35/3.5-4.5. I offer the following thoughts:

I have heard many disparaging remarks here about the ex-APS lens design
sold with the D300. I've read all the reviews and the reviewers have all
found it to be optically quite good.

The set of DC lenses from Sigma were designed for their own DSLRs and
are sold in a package with the SD10, their flagship camera. Would they
risk promoting crummy lenses with their best camera? Are they the equal
of the Oly E-1 lenses? Of course not, on speed alone, before even
considering other optical qualities. Will they make very good images for
all but very exacting work? Almost certainly. For $239 for the pair,
will they allow some people to get into the E-1 with full focal length
coverage that they couldn't afford (or don't want to risk on an unproven
system) from Oly so those who have the talent and need will upgrade
later? Likely. Now what's bad about that??

They also already make them in mounts for Canon, Nikon and Pentax, so
4/3 mount is quite a natural extension. As Skip says, the more lenses
4/3 has available, the better its chances of success.

If Oly doesn't want an OM-4/3 adapter readily available, I doubt Sigma
would make one. Good relations with the makers of the cameras that take
their lenses are pretty important to them. They may even be
contractually bound under their agreement to license production using
the 4/3 mount. A small third party supplier who is not a major player in
lenses for major SLR mounts is a much more likely source.

Moose