[OM] Re: Camera Quandary - OM vs. N*kon vs L*ica

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Quandary - OM vs. N*kon vs L*ica
From: BllPear@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:34:54 -0500
I am in the multi-system area, also. Here's my advice.

First, we've all said it, SLR's and RF's are two different beasts. Generally,
more people get along with SLR's than RF's, and if you have but one system, the
SLR is probably more practical.

I also own both Nikon and OM, along with my RF system (an Xpan), but for a
specific reason. (note that since I get a good part of my income from
photography, I look at things a bit differently) One minor part of my work
involves shooting model trains for magazines. For that, I use three lenses, the
35/2 and 50 and 100 macros.

[In the late sixties in college, I shot a Spotmatic, but I became unhappy with
the screw mount and stop-down metering. In 1969 or 70, I began to get into
Nikon F. After 8 years or so, I had two bodies and five lenses. A friend was
getting out of OM with an outfit of OM1md, 50/3.5 and 100/2.8, so I bought it
for my wife to use. After a year of so,, I decided that the OM glass was
better, so I got my own OM outfit, and put the Nikons in storage. As my
photographic career advanced, I got them out when I had a client that need the
reassurance of that big Nikon on the prism.]

I don't think anyone is unaware that the 90 macro is, errr, expensive. Since
what I shoot with it requires a minimum of f32, quality is sacrificed to
diffraction, so a $200 100/4 micro-Nikkor does just fine. If it were not for
this little fact, I would sell off much of the outfit, keeping just a body and
two lenses for sentiment.

So (isn't this a bit long), SLR's and RF's can live together in harmony. Were I
you, I would get out of Nikon and concentrate on the OM for the use of long
lenses, macro, and zooms. I would concentrate my Leica on normal to WA. Well,
really, I would sell it and get an Xpan, but you get the drift.

Bill Pearce