[OM] Re: Camera Quandary - OM vs. N*kon vs L*ica

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Quandary - OM vs. N*kon vs L*ica
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:34:19 EST
Jim Brokaw , IMO, has given you very sound advice.

I'd only add my 2c with regard to follow your heart, and concentrate on the
one system that gives you the results you desire while making you happy during
the process. Every system you mentioned can be learned and give you excellent
results. Ask yourself which camera is your "favorite" to use? And don't ignore
asking what is your sentimental favorite. Yes, photography is about the end
results, but you won't get the desired end result unless the act of using your
gear is "fun".

I left Olympus OM only about 2 years ago due to my slightly aging eyes and
thought I'd be happier using Leica, and the large, bright VF would be easier
for
my eyes to focus. I bought into that system heavily, and as it turned out, I
wasn't all that happy. I also had been a longtime user of a Nikon N2020, their
early AF body with built-in winder.

To make a long story shorter, when the dust settled, I went back to Olympus,
sold the Leicas, and kept a smallish Nikon kit for when I felt the need for
AF. I still enjoy the N2020 in the same way i enjoy the OMs. It has a classic
analog feel to it, unlike Nikon's (and everyone else's) newer plastic wonders.
But the OMs get the majority of use. Maybe it's part nostalgia, I don't know,
but I'm very comfortable using the OM-4Ti and OM-2S, and they perform
splendidly. I also now use my Olympus E-10 digital for when I "have to" have
AF, but
that's another story line, and you didn't ask about digital as being an
option......

Best,
George S.