[OM] Re: OT How many cameras? WAS Re: How old were you? (WAS: whippersna

Subject: [OM] Re: OT How many cameras? WAS Re: How old were you? (WAS: whippersnappers)
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:06:33 -0500
I'm not the one to whom the question was addressed, but, being
full of opinions today, I'll throw in my two cents' worth anyway:

The 35-80/2.8 Zuiko is a wonderful lens.  But using it hand-held,
which is about the only way it ever sees action with me, the
resulting photographs are generally indistinguishable from,
meaning no better or worse than, those taken with the 28-105/2.8
Tamron or, given enough light, the 35-105/3.5~4.5 Zuiko.  If you
bolt them all down on a sturdy tripod, use mirror and aperture
prefire, I don't doubt but that the 35-80/2.8 would prove to be
superior in every way to either of the other lenses.  But, in
reality, how often do we do that?

I'm a lazy so and so, and I generally use a tripod with the 35mm
gear only for macro or long telephoto work.  Otherwise, everything
is hand-held, or, at best, braced against a tree, a fence post, or
a rolled-down SUV window.  I know there are some who shoot
landscapes and such with their OM-whatevers on a tripod, and I
admire their dedication and discipline.  But, except for the
situations I previously referenced, if I'm going to the bother and
inonvenience of setting up a tripod, then there's most likely
going be a MF or LF camera on top of it.

Bottom line: I'm glad I've got a 35-80/2.8 Zuiko.  Everybody
should have one, and you need to get one as soon as possible.  The
price I paid two years ago would be a Fang today, but that's just
my good fortune for getting in early.  I don't use it as much as I
should or as carefully as it deserves.  I'm keeping it, though.
I'm also keeping the Tamron, and probably using it more.  The
extra reach on either end compensates for the bulk and weight and
the fact it ain't a Zuiko, but hand-held, it's good enough for
me.  It got me my TOPE 17.  :-)

Walt

A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing
than he needs. -- Mark Twain (defining the cause of Zuikoholism a
century ago)