[OM] Re: First Arenacross shoot-Holy Smokes!

Subject: [OM] Re: First Arenacross shoot-Holy Smokes!
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:18:23 -0700
Lighting is always tough in arenas. The lighting they have is so high that
shadows are always a problem. I used to take gymnastics pictures and had the
same situation. You can't use a flash because it might blind the
participants. With gymnastics, I would sometimes mount a blue floodlight on
the floor and off to the side. It didn't bother the people and let me get
some better facial features of the kids. That's not going to help for racing
work though. You get some good images. The vivid colors on the bikes
compensate for the things hidden in the shadows and there is a lot of action
tension. /jim