[OM] Re: considering a printer purchase

Subject: [OM] Re: considering a printer purchase
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:10:51 -0800

>  Mike, is the metamerism on your 2000P a problem for you?
>-Stephen.

The metamerism issue with the 2000p was a bit over blown. Anyway the
newest drivers seem to deal with it pretty well. I don't have a lot of
experience with different printers but it seems like any print viewed
under varying lighting will reflect the colors in different and unequal
ways. The greens were a bit problematic with the 2000p. I deal with it
using my "seat of the pants" color profile. I suppose if I had some time
I could develop a couple of different profiles for different viewing
environments. The pigment ink used by the 2000p is probably unsurpassed
for its archival qualities. The trade off is lack of punch in the color
department and not so good b&w performance.  The 2200 addressed these
weaknesses and then some. I think Epson realized that people preferred
prints (and buy printers) that knock your socks off. And so what if they
don't last 200 years. I haven't seen a comparison of the color gamuts of
the two printers but I suspect the 2200's is broader by a fair amount.
I'm not at all displeased with the 2000p, it is a superb printer and I
got it at a bargain price. I would loosely compare the difference
between it and the 2200 to the difference between high color saturation
and low saturation film.

Mike