[OM] Re: OT New York Times Photo

Subject: [OM] Re: OT New York Times Photo
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:31:11 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

My view of this image is on some kind of oldish 15" monitor at the Apache
Junction library so it could be I'm simply missing out on some important
detail, but I've got to ask: specifically in what respects do you feel that
this photo is a "masterpiece" of photographic and photojournalistic expertise?
I find the picture itself to be simply an ordinary shot somewhat indifferently
rendered, but again, that might be attributed to the so-so screen in front of
me. Still, even blown up there's little shadow detail to speak of (lord only
knows how badly it came across on newsprint) and compositionally I see nothing
whatsoever to rave about--it works, I suppose, in conjunction with the story,
but so what? And the subject matter itself is hardly the stuff of Pulitzers to
begin with, so I just can't see "masterpiece" in there no matter how hard I
squint.

I'm interested to learn your take on it.

Tris

You should take a look at the photo of the boat poler in the Iraq
marshes on the front page of the NYT today.   This is a masterpiece of
both photography and photojournalism.   Simple and powerful........
Regards,
Bill