[OM] Re: OT Darkroom Thermometer

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Darkroom Thermometer
From: Geilfuss Charles <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:00:17 -0600
John,
        Used to deal with this problem all the time when I was a lab techie.
You will need to have a thermos bottle, some dry-ice and some methanol.
Carefully place the dry-ice and methanol into the thermos bottle and wait
till it chills down (about 10 minutes). Place the thermometer, bulb first
into the chilled liquid. The extreme cold (about -65 F) will draw all of the
spirit or mercury down into the bulb where it will recombine and remove your
break in the column. Remove from liquid and you are done.

Charlie Geilfuss