[OM] Re: OT Darkroom Thermometer

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Darkroom Thermometer
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:58:33 -0800
on 2/21/04 5:40 PM, John Wheeler at wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> G'day Zuiks,
>
> Having been inspired by Graham's weekly B&W shots to once again start
> processing in my darkroom (sometimes referred to as the SO's laundry) I've
> discovered that my Paterson thermometer has a problem. The spirit has
> divided itself and a smallish amount has got stuck in the top of the device
> rendering the thing rather inaccurate. Before I chuck it and have to spend
> actual money for another has anyone got an idea how I can join up the two
> sections of spirit again?
>
> John.

Well, at the risk of ruining it entirely, you could heat it up slowly and
carefully until the two fluids join together, just, then cool it quickly
before you blow the top right off the tube. That's the only way I can think
of to do it, unless maybe you centrifuge it around in a real fast spinner...
again probably breaking the tube. But maybe worth a try if the only
alternative is to buy another anyway.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...