[OM] Re: The death of film has been delayed...

Subject: [OM] Re: The death of film has been delayed...
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:33:09 +0800
I do believe DOF is a critical issue for portrait, the beautiful JAL (Japan
Air Line) calendar I got every year looks like only larger than 35mm format
can produce (let along the smaller DC sensor), there are twelve pages of
beautiful girls with different countries' scenic as background, the picture
is square size and I believe it is done by a Hass. You will see some of them
are taken with standard of wide angle but the object can still stand out as
the background can has different degrees of OOF effect.

I owned a Bronica SQ-A and I can say the portrait quality is better than
35mm can do. You stop down and get the DOF cover your subject but the
background is still soft. Consider a longer lens like 200mm when stop down
say to F8 can produce a much softer background than a 85mm at F8 when you
maintain the same object magnification. The 6x7 has the magic that you use a
200mm lens but a perspective of a 85mm in 35mm format.

C.H.Ling