[OM] DC/DSLR decisions was one more for the bokeh pile

Subject: [OM] DC/DSLR decisions was one more for the bokeh pile
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:03:56 -0800
Very pleasing image with good bokeh. We've heard lots of negatives about
the 300D/DRebel from people who have never used them, perhaps in some
cases never held them.

I have an OM=>EOS adapter coming without an EOS camera to try it on,
although a neighbor has an Elan something. I bought it because of the
good price (sorry Kanman168, if you are a listee), figuring I could
resell easily if I don't go the EOS route and save money if I do go EOS.
I'm still very much up in the air about which DC to get. Like AG,
although not for pro reasons, I'd like to either get something like the
A1 or 2 (the noise performance of the other new 8mp prosumers isn't
promising) or a DSLR where I have faith that it will be part of a long
term viable system. Also like him, I'm irritated at Oly's attitude about
the use of OM lenses and the MA-1. I'm a big boy and I can judge for
myself whether performance is satisfactory for my purposes. The larger
question is whether I want to buy into the 4/3 system with everything at
new prices while its long term future is somewhat uncertain. Whatever I
buy, prosumer or DSLR, I'll consider the body an interim step, as things
are still changing so fast, but I'd like the lenses for any DSLR to be
useful for the next body (or bodies. I haven't had only one body of a
system since about 1977). Whatever its faults, the the 300D/DRebel has
far better noise performance than any prosumer and seems like a
reasonable interim DSLR body and possible later backup.

So, what is your report on the 300D/DRebel? Others who have them and
would like to report on their experience?

A confused Moose who hasn't really ruled out the E-1 or *istD either.