[OM] Re: A couple of questions which are on-topic

Subject: [OM] Re: A couple of questions which are on-topic
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:01:17 -0800
I like the OMPC a lot. Light, cheap, feels good in the hand with the
rubber covering and finger grip. The only double-digit body with TTL-OTF
flash control with the T series flashes. I think the program mode sounds
good, but never really use it. The ESP metering is really excellent,
dealing well with differences between the brightness of central and
outer image areas. a PC with 35-70/3.5-4.5 and a T18 flash in my pocket
is a great casual 'I don't know if I'll take any pics today or not'
combo. The price makes it the choice for chancy situations, too. And
don't discount the little window that shows what film is in it and the
DX coding unless you have never messed up in that area, very nice
touches. Oh yeah, it also has full mirror and apertuer pre-fire with the
self timer.

I have 4 working bodies (okay, so I get a bit carried away sometimes!
Total cost still less than a nice OM-4), though 1 needs the mirror
adjusted. I've never run into circuit failure, although it's known to
happen. The other significant problem John H. warns about is a plastic
piece in the rewind mechanism that fails from age and use and is no
longer available. If the rewind button comes back up when the shutter is
wound, it doesn't have this particular problem. I recently bought a
parts body where this seems likely to be the problem.

A real shame these weren't built a bit better in those crucial little
details, they are really nice cameras.

Moose