[OM] Re: Tamron 90mm Question

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 90mm Question
From: Alan Wood <alan.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:29:02 -0000
Dan S wrote:

> Having fanged one of these for $47 I am wondering if I need
> to bother hunting down the extension tube that is available
> for this lens. Is there any reason why I would need the
> Tamron one specifically? To be clear I am talking about the
> one that fits between the Adaptall and the lens. I am
> assuming it is a 25mm extension from its model number. If
> that is so is there any reason that the 25mm Olympus Auto
> tube I already have wouldn't work? It would also be easier to fit.

It may depend which version you have.  I have the oldest version, which
takes 49mm filters.  It can NOT be used with an extension tube.  The rear
element remains at a fixed distance from the film when you focus.  If you
add a tube, it is not possible to focus.  The special Tamron "extension
tube" is really a matched teleconverter.

If your version is different, you would need a 45mm (not 25mm) extension
tube to get from half-size to life-size.

Alan Wood
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/ (macro, under development)