[OM] 35-70 f3.6 vs 35-80 f2.8

Subject: [OM] 35-70 f3.6 vs 35-80 f2.8
From: jason.gidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:29:26 +0000
Just curious & I apologise for the blasphemy but......

"Note in passing that Jessops still list the legendary 35-80mm f2.8 Zuiko
zoom -- it is priced at a very-reasonable 2200 UK pounds"

I know the list often debates the relative merits of the various standard
zooms in terms of quality, weight etc.  But is the mercurial 35-80mm f2.8
really that good that it is worth 2000 quid more than the 35-70 f3.6??  Hey
if you can afford it great, so the cost would be moot.  But for those of us
slightly less affluent (or equally likely those of us who don't control the
purse strings :-)) apart from the slightly greater range & extra speed,
does the 35-80 f2.8 offer significant advantages in quality over it's
lesser rivals?

In penance I shall say 30 Hail Maitani's

Jason.