[OM] Re: Taking a plunge

Subject: [OM] Re: Taking a plunge
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:49:39 -0500
I just took my own plunge and sprang for the Minolta A1 with optional
BP-400 battery holder/hand grip/strap, extra NP-400 Li-Ion battery and
two Lexar 40x 256MB CF cards.  With shipping, $978.95 (minus a $15
rebate on one of the CF cards) from B&H.  Hope it will be here by Monday.

This 2/3" sensor will (hopefully) teach me to how to deal with DOF and
noise issues worse than the 4/3 sensor on the E-1.  If successful here I
will be much less concerned about the viability of the 4/3 system.  It
will also give me time to see what Oly and Canon and Minolta have up
their sleeves in the next year or so.

If not successful for all of my purposes I will still have fun with a
nice little digital with a fairly fast 28-200 equivalent lens and more
features than you can shake a stick at.

One of the things that convinced me to do this was this test file
portrait at Steve's DigiCams.  (caution - big file)
<http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1/samples/PICT0084.JPG>

Cropping out just the face in an 8x10 aspect ratio and ressing up a
little bit to 144dpi makes a very good looking 8x10 print which would be
equivalent to a 16x20 size for the whole image.  Some other test images
I had seen seemed to be fairly noisy but this one looks great straight
out of the camera.  I believe there was a firmware upgrade late last
year which reduced noise and perhaps this image reflects that.

Too bad the 24mm shift won't fit on the front.

Chuck Norcutt